All of Colorado’s big game excess licenses on sale now

Listen to this post

RBC I For the first time ever, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) is now offering all of its over-the-county big game licenses at the same time.
All leftover elk, pronghorn, bear, deer and turkey licenses went on sale Tuesday to residents and non-residents.

Leftover licenses are what remain after the draw process for big game and turkey. The number of licenses available depends upon how many licenses remain after the draws for a particular hunt code.
A list of available hunt codes has been published at

 Over-the-counter with caps licenses are licenses that initially went on sale Tuesday but are limited in quantity, or “capped.” Unlimited over-the-counter licenses are not limited in number. Look for unlimited over-the-counter licenses and hunt codes for over-the-counter with caps licenses in the 2014 Big Game Brochure.
Individuals may choose to purchase the licenses in person at more than 700 licensing agents, including CPW offices, online at cpw.state. or by phone (800-244-5613). A list of license agents can be found at Pages/LicenseAgentsList.aspx.
CPW draw coordinator Devon Adams recommends checking with your preferred license purchase agent ahead of time to ensure business hours coincide with the start of the sale and that they are familiar with changes to big game license sales this year.

In addition to a current and valid photo ID, proof of residency and Social Security number, anyone buying a license must have a Hunter Education card unless the hunter was born before Jan. 1, 1949.
Online verification requires input of the hunter education information located on the card and the state in which it was issued. Bring this card with you for in-person sales.
To sign up for a Hunter Education course go to To request a replacement Colorado hunter education card, go to Pages/HECardReplacement.aspx.

For more information about hunting big game in Colorado or sale of leftover licenses go to You may also contact your local CPW office or call 303-297-1192.