Police officer cleared in Boudreaux shooting

MEEKER — A Meeker police officer will not face criminal charges for the shooting death of a local resident.
District Attorney Martin Beeson notified Meeker Police Chief Bob Hervey Tuesday that Lt. Glenn Wilson will not face criminal charges as a result of the shooting at the Valley Motel on March 28 that resulted in the death of Chris Boudreaux.
“…It is my conclusion that under applicable Colorado law, no criminal charges can be filed or proven against Lt. Glenn Wilson for causing the death of Mr. Boudreaux,” Beeson wrote in his notification to Hervey. “Lt. Wilson’s actions were legally justifiable.”
Boudreaux, 35, was shot by Lt. Wilson after the officer responded to a domestic disturbance call at Valley Motel, the business Boudreaux co-owned.
Boudreaux reportedly waved a gun at himself and then pointed it at the officers who responded to the call.
According to Beeson’s report, Lt. Wilson repeatedly asked Boudreaux to drop the gun he was holding. When Boudreaux eventually pointed the semi-automatic .45 caliber handgun at Wilson, cocked his head so he could sight down the barrel and closed one eye to aim the gun at Wilson, the police officer shot Boudreaux one time in the chest.
According to the autopsy, cocaine and methamphetamine were found in Boudreaux’s system, but the quantity of those drugs won’t be known until toxicology reports are completed.
Beeson noted that his evaluation on criminal matters doesn’t limit administrative action by the Meeker Police Department, nor does it limit civil actions where less stringent laws, rules and legal standards of proof apply.
Wilson was on routine paid administrative leave for several weeks after the shooting, but he has now been reinstated. The chief said all internal investigations have been completed.
Wilson received a medal of valor from Hervey at the Meeker Town board meeting Tuesday night, and Officer Mike Washburn, who was also on the scene at the time of the incident, received a medal of honor.
“They were doing exactly as they had been trained to do and did everything they could to resolve this situation peacefully,” Hervey said. “It’s been particularly tough on these officers to hear some of the things that have been said, the rumors that have gone around and not be able to say anything until the investigation was complete. I’m extremely proud of both of them.”
To read the full report from Beeson, download the PDF at www.theheraldtimes.com.