RBC I This year, the Meeker Fourth of July parade will be led by members of our local American Legion Post No. 74, VFW Post No. 5843 and Ladies Auxiliary No. 5843, and all three groups are inviting any veterans from all services to march or ride with them during the parade.
Locally, American Legion, VFW Post 5843 and its Ladies Auxiliary are service organizations to support the Meeker community and all veterans. Here is a list of some of the things these groups do on an ongoing basis:
• Helped design, raise funds and install our beautiful Veteran’s Memorial of a modern day soldier in front of the Rio Blanco County Courthouse with the help of local donations and our county.
• Provide several different scholarships to youth within our community.
• Participate as an honor guard at funeral services of any veteran and at sporting events.
• Support the Meeker Sheep Dog Classic.
• Help educate our children on patriotism and flag etiquette.
• Administer grant money for veterans’ travel to hospitals and medical facilities.
• Provide medical equipment that we store and donate for use to anyone in the community.
• Assist veterans who are in need.
Please let us know if you would like to ride in the parade by contacting David Cole at 878-5326.
Directly following the parade, the groups will host an open house at their new home, located on the southeast corner of Fourth and Main streets in Meeker until 1 p.m.
The groups will also welcome persons interested in joining any of the three organizations. Applications and information will be available along with iced tea and lemonade.