Listen to this post
Residents with natural gas meters are reminded to carefully clear snow or ice from meters. The buildup of snow or ice can cause significant damage to gas meters and external pipes, in addition to impacting the accuracy of meter readings and preventing quick access to meters in case of an emergency. Blocked exterior vents from furnaces, clothes dryers or other natural gas appliances can result in carbon monoxide building up inside. Guidelines from Atmos Energy include:
- Carefully hand dig snow from around the meter and/or use a broom to sweep off the snow.
- Do not allow snow to accumulate on a roof that is directly over a gas meter.
- If using snow and ice removal equipment on rooftops, use extreme caution while diverting it away from the meter.
- Do not allow snow or ice to pile up against the meter when snow plowing or shoveling a yard or street.
For additional winter safety tips, visit atmosenergy.com/wintersafety. As a reminder, if you smell natural gas, leave the area immediately and then call 911 or the 24-hour emergency number at 1-866-322-8667.