Obituary: Faron Victor Wilkins

Faron Wilkins

Faron Wilkins
Faron Wilkins
Faron Victor Wilkins passed away Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2015, at his home in Vernal, Utah, on his 89th birthday, surrounded by family, after a valiant struggle with congestive heart failure.

Faron was born Feb. 25, 1926, in Vernal, Utah, the son of Victor and Merle Wilkins.
He is survived by: his wife, Lila G. Wilkins; son Duane (Margie) Wilkins (Mesa, Ariz.); daughter Pat (Paul) Roden (Draper, Utah); son Stuart (Holly) Wilkins (Vernal, Utah); son Robert (Joanna) Wilkins (Vernal, Utah); 12 grandchildren; 24 great-grandchildren; sister Verla (Howard) Walker (St. George, Utah); and brother Edgar (Carolyn) Wilkins (Littleton, Colo.). He was preceded in death by his parents, Victor and Merle Wilkins; brothers Wayne and Clyde Wilkins; and sisters Velda Gentry and Elaine Hall.
Faron grew up in Vernal and graduated from Uintah High School. He then served in the South Pacific in the United States Navy during World War II. After his return from serving his country, he married Lila R. Goodrich on June 25, 1947, in the Salt Lake City, Utah, LDS Temple.
He was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served in many callings including: Elders Quorum President, Seventy, High Priest Group Leader, High Council, councilor in two separate bishoprics and Bishop and Temple worker.
He grew up working with his father and uncles in the trucking business. After serving in the military, he returned to rejoin the family trucking business. Later, he and his brother, Wayne Wilkins, formed Wilkins Transportation and included charter buses. They later sold the trucks, but continued the bus line and were co-owners of the business for more than 50 years.
He and Wayne also co-owned the Dinosaur Quarry Gift Shop and Dinosaur National Monument Tram and concessions. He retired in the spring of 1997.
Faron loved spending time with his wife, Lila, and family; working in his yard and garden; working on projects with his sons; visiting with family, neighbors and friends (especially sitting outside on their patio); and serving in the Vernal Temple.
Funeral services were conducted at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, March 3, 2015, at the Vernal 2nd Ward LDS Chapel. Interment was in Vernal Memorial Park with military honors from the American Legion and Utah National Guard under the direction of the Blackburn Vernal Mortuary.