Listen to this post
The Meeker Herald — 125 years ago
• Commissioner A. J. Gregory, accompanied by C. N. Greig, formerly cashier of the Glenwood National Bank, came in from Glenwood Springs last evening. Mr. Greig is now identified with the banking house of Crippen, Lawrence & Co., being their manager for Colorado investments and is here on business connected with his firm.
• Clarence Sawyer of Piceance, favored the Herald with a call on Monday. Mr. Sawyer is getting his Black Sulphur Creek Ranch into productive shape, and, when he gets it cleared off, he will have one of the best pieces of property in that section of the county.
• Lawyer Wright, the White River City disciple of Blackstone, was in the metropolis Wednesday and Thursday attending to legal matters.
The Meeker Herald — 75 years ago
• Mrs. Donald Durning, in charge of the sale of Christmas seals in Meeker this year, announced that the Boy Scouts will help in the sale of seals and will make a house-to-house canvass of the town between now and Christmas. These seals support a mighty worthy cause.
• Mr. and Mrs. M. R. Alexander of Westcliffe, Colo., were Meeker visitors on Saturday and Sunday of last week. While in Meeker, they were the house guests of Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Neal. Mr. Alexander is editor of the West Mountain Valley Tribune, published at the county seat of Custer County.
• Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Nestler of Grand Junction were Meeker visitors last Saturday afternoon, when they attended the Woman’s Club Pioneer Day program. Mr. Nestler is a well-known Western Slope artist, and he gave a talk to the club on modern art. A number of Mr. Nestler’s paintings have been on display this week in the Commercial Club window.
The Meeker Herald — 25 years ago
• The drawing for winners of the Meeker Sportsman’s Club raffle was held on Sunday, Nov. 20. Bill Hollenbaugh of Meeker was the winner of the Winchester model 70XTR Featherweight .270 caliber. The Meeker Sportsman’s Club thanks everyone who purchased raffle tickets for this fundraising project.
• Mrs. Vernon Bowman, who had flown to California, accompanied her daughter and husband, Becky and Buddy Ridings, back to Meeker. Buddy, stationed at Marimar Naval Air Station with Fighter Squadron VF-114, has completed four years as a member of the U.S. Navy and was discharged on Nov. 7. The couple plans to make Meeker their home.
n Rose Gerry is in Denver for a few days, visiting with her son, Dennis Kincher, and also having some eye surgery. She is expected home early next week.
Rangely Times — 50 years ago
• Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Hayes are in Newcastle, Wyo., this week, visiting their son, Stanley, and family and other relatives.
• Mr. Warren and Bill Thomas, sons Larry and Robert and J. R. Sinclair flew to Denver on Friday for the Auto Show. Larry and J. R. stayed to join the varsity club, which also also went into Denver the same day.
• Mr. and Mrs. Wendell Yeager were in Denver on Saturday the 9th for the wedding of Mr. Yeager’s niece, Miss Carole Yeager, to Mr. Gary Brinkhoff, both of Golden, Colo. The ceremony took place at the Park Hill Church of Christ in Denver. Mrs. Yeager’s father, Mr. Lee Brewer, returned with them to his home in Denver after visiting in Rangely several days.
• Mr. and Mrs. Bob Lewis left Sunday for a vacation on the West Coast and also to attend the Hellderado Rodeo in Las Vegas, Nev.
Rangely Times — 40 years ago
• Mr. and Mrs. Von Krosigk came from Riverton, Wyo., on Friday to visit with her parents, the Clair Bantas.
• Maureen and Gary Corbin from Steamboat Springs came on into Rangely on Friday to visit with her parents, the Forest L. Crowns. Maureen and Gary were dinner guests in the Robert Coy home on Saturday.
• Mrs. H. B. Pilcher flew to Oklahoma City, Okla., last week to assist Mr. and Mrs. Mike Pilcher and their sons, Kevin and Brian, into their new homes in Vernal, Utah.
• Leah and Burl Coy went to Hotchkiss last week to see her son, Johnie Kenny, and then to Montrose to visit Mr. and Mrs. Sid Boucher. Mrs. Boucher is Mrs. Coy’s sister.
Rangely Times — 30 years ago
• Mr. and Mrs. Travis Trayler of Fullbright, Texas, wish to announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of their daughter, LaTrecia Marier, to Billy Roy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jessie Glover of Clarksville, Texas.
• Craig and Leesa Carpenter announce the early arrival of Chelsea Anne. Chelsea Anne was born in Grand Junction at St. Mary’s Hospital on Nov. 10, 1983, at 9:10 p.m.