Compiled by the Denver Public Libary
The Weekly Register-Call (Central City)
July 26, 1868 – Present
Originally founded as the Central City Register (July 26, 1868). Merged with the Evening Call (founded Feb. 16, 1878) on May 27, 1878 to form the Daily Register-Call, which ran until Nov. 3, 1890. The Weekly Register-Call ran concurrently from June 23, 1878, and continues into the present.
Salida Mountain Mail (Salida)
June 5, 1880 – Present
Originally founded as the Mountain Mail (June 5, 1880) in South Arkansas, Colo. Moved to Salida, Colo., under the same name on July 31, 1880. Name changed to the Salida Mail on April 7, 1883. Name changed to the Salida Daily Mail on May 25, 1936. The Salida Daily Mail merged with the Salida Record (founded Dec. 30, 1898) to become the Salida Mail-Record on June 1, 1948. Named changed to the Salida Mountain Mail on Jan. 2, 1956. The paper has continued under this name through the present.
Chafee County Times (Buena Vista)
1881 – Present
Originally founded as the Buena Vista Democrat (1881). Name changed to Colorado Democrat in 1891. Name changed to Chafee County Republican in 1895. Name changed to Chafee County Republic on June 2, 1897. Name changed to Colorado Republican in 1900. Name changed to Chafee County Independent in 1909. Name changed to Chafee County Republican once again in 1912. Name changed to Chafee County Times in 1976. The name was inspired by Chafee County’s first newspaper, the Chafee County Times, which ran from 1880 to 1886. The newspaper is still known as the Chafee County Times today.
Bent County Democrat (Las Animas)
August 1883 – Present
Founded in August 1883, has operated continuously under the name Bent County Democrat through the present.
Steamboat Pilot and Today (Steamboat Springs)
July 31, 1885 – Present
Weekly newspaper founded as the Steamboat Pilot (July 31, 1885). Operated under this name until 2001, when name was changed to Steamboat Pilot and Today to denote publication day change from Wednesday to Sunday. The paper has operated under that name through the present.
Rio Blanco Herald-Times (Meeker and Rangely)
August 15, 1885 – Present
Originally founded as the Meeker Herald (Aug. 15, 1885). The paper merged with the Rio Blanco News (founded Aug. 16, 1889) to form the Meeker Herald and Rio Blanco County News in 1892, though the name reverted back to the Meeker Herald that same year. In October 1997, the Herald purchased the Rangely Times (founded January 1956). In 2000, the papers merged to create the Rio Blanco Herald Times, and continue under this name through the present.
Monte Vista Journal (Monte Vista)
Dec. 16, 1888 – Present
The Monte Vista Journal was founded as a weekly periodical on Dec. 16, 1888, and has continued to operate uninterrupted under this name through the present. A daily version of the Monte Vista Journal ran from 1894-1896.
Daily Camera (Boulder)
Sept. 27, 1890 – Present
Originally founded as the Boulder Camera (Sept. 27, 1890). The name was changed to the Daily Camera on March 17, 1891. It has operated continuously under this name through the present.
Littleton Independent (Littleton)
1891 – Present
The Littleton Independent was founded in 1891. The paper was renamed the Sentinel Independent beginning in 1986, but reverted back to its original title in 1991. The paper has operated continuously under the name Littleton Independent since.
Denver Post (Denver)
Aug. 8, 1892 – Present
Originally founded as the Denver Evening Post (Aug. 8, 1892). A daily edition, titled the Denver Post, entered circulation June 22, 1894. The Denver Evening Post continued to run concurrently until Oct. 28, 1895. The Denver Post has operated continuously under this name through the present.
Brighton Standard-Blade (Brighton)
Jan. 16, 1903 – Present
Founded as the Brighton Blade (Jan. 16, 1903). The paper merged with the Brighton Standard (founded 1974) to form the Brighton Standard-Blade in October 1990. The newspaper has operated continuously under this name through the present.
Pagosa Springs Sun (Pagosa Springs)
Dec. 3, 1909 – Present
The Pagosa Springs Sun was founded Dec. 3, 1909, and has operated continuously under the same name since.