Listen to this post
Drive thru flu clinics in Meeker, Rangely
RBC | RBC Department of Public Health and Environment is holding drive through flu vaccination clinics this year. Meeker’s clinic will be held Thursday, Oct. 1 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m at the RBC Fairgrounds and Rangely’s clinic will be held Tuesday, Oct. 6 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at 101 E. Main Street between the library and the public health office building.
All ages are welcome, and Medicare, Medicaid, RMHP, uninsured and underinsured, and private insurance (cash or check for a $25 reimbursable co-pay) will be accepted.
Operation Christmas Child goes on
MEEKER | COVID-19 has not stopped Operation Christmas Child! The annual project by which local folks can send shoebox gifts to children in need around the globe is proceeding unaffected by the worldwide pandemic. Let’s pull together, start packing our shoeboxes now, and have a banner year for our Meeker campaign. Collection week will be November 16-23 and will feature curbside pick-up at Emmanuel Baptist Church. Contact Stella McGruder at 878-5162 for information, supplies, and support. “Operation Christmas Child” is a project of Samaritan’s Purse, an international relief organization headed up by Franklin Graham.
Health insurance info and assistance
RBC | Protect your health — make sure you have health insurance coverage for 2021 that’s right for you. Schedule a virtual connect with Health Coverage Guide Jeni Holloway to learn more about the Connect for Health marketplace, compare plans and explore financial help options. Get the coverage you need to thrive. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-875-3630 x105. https://tinyurl.com/yys7orhw
Substance use, mental health treatment
RBC | Counseling, intensive outpatient treatment, and medication assisted treatment for substance use and other mental health disorders are now available in Meeker and Rangely via telehealth through Providence Recovery Services, RBC Department of Public Health and Environment, and Rocky Mountain Health Plans. Services are confidential and local. Call Meeker Public Health at 970-878-9520 or Rangely Public Health at 970-878-9525.
CNCC fall programs at Heritage Center
MEEKER | Colorado Northwestern Community College and the Heritage Cultural Center are joining forces to present fall programs:
• Constitutional Law — You have the right to remain silent, but also the right to speak your mind. Learn the history behind your most popular Constitutional rights, and how courts have interpreted those rights over time from Ben Brown. Class meets Thursday evenings 6 to 7 p.m. from Oct. 1 to Nov. 19. Cost is $65.00.
• Women’s C.O.B.R.A. Self-Defense Program — In this beginners self-defense workshop you will learn skills to make you highly effective in real situations where your survival is on the line. Combat Objective Battle Ready Application or C.O.B.R.A. was created by law enforcement officers based on close-quarter combat techniques against the criminally minded. Register by Sept. 21 for class, 1-4 p.m. Oct. 3. Cost is $65 and includes a special t-shirt.
• Decorative Candy Making — Learn to create incredible royal icing candies for all your holiday dessert decorating. These little candies dry hard for easy storage. Choose from an array of designs such as unicorns, googly eyes, bees, fall leaves and more. Book your seat now for class 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 6. Cost is $65 and includes everything needed to make several candies. Bring a box to take candies home.
• Grief Recovery — Create an action plan for moving forward after the death of a loved one, divorce or other losses using the Grief Recovery Method as developed by the Grief Recovery Institute over the past 40 years. Class meets from 7 to 8 p.m. on Wednesdays from Oct. 7 to Nov. 11. Cost is $68. Please bring a copy of the Grief Recovery Handbook, available on Amazon for about $12.
• Monthly Meeting for Online Learner or those interested in taking an online course. Are you thinking of taking a class online, but not sure what to do or how it all works? We’re here to help. If you’re enrolled in an online class at CNCC, but want more interaction join us to meet other online learners, gain assistance with any technical issues you’re having, and choose your classes. Cost $10 for class from 7 to 8 p.m. Oct. 13.
Meeker Seniors receive 50% off classes. Learn more and register now by calling 970-824-1109 or visiting https://www.cncc.edu/community-programming-registration.
Earn certs in Wildland Firefighting
MEEKER | Enrollment is open for CNCC’s Wildland Firefighting class starting soon in Rangely. This class provides entry-level firefighter skills. Learn the Lookouts, Communications, Escape Routes, and Safety Zones (LCES) for Standard Firefighting Orders, fire line construction, holding tactics, extinguishing methods, professional safety techniques, and environmental factors for safe effective firefighting. Successful completion of the course earns students industry certificate S130, S190 and L180. Learn more and register now by calling 970-824-1109 or visiting https://www.cncc.edu/community-programming-registration.
ERBM program updates
MEEKER | On Saturday, Sept. 19, from 7:30-8:45 a.m. the first of ERBM’s series of Saturday Sample Fitness Classes begins at the Admin Gym.
Also on Saturday, ERBM and BLM invite you to celebrate National Public Lands Day by improving our local trails. If you are interested in helping meet at 8 a.m. at the Ute Park Trailhead (west end of Ute Park). Bring water, sunscreen and sunglasses; wear sturdy shoes. Trail tools will be provided. At 11 a.m., after the completion of the trail work, lunch will be provided by ERBM.
Reminder that Adult Drop-In Sports for adults 18+ is Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at Meeker Elementary School gym. Play volleyball or basketball.
Meeker Public Library book club
MEEKER | The book club will be reading “A Man Called Ove” by Fredrik Backman. We will discuss the book on Monday, Oct. 12 at 1 p.m. All are welcome to join in the fun.