RANGELY | The 26th annual Rangely Racquetball Tournament hosted a maximum number of competitors on the Western Rio Blanco Recreation Center courts March 8-10.
Athletes arrived to compete from all over the Western Slope, including Grand Junction, Delta, Hotchkiss, Glenwood Springs, and Craig. They were joined by Front Range participants from Lakewood, Thornton, Loveland, and Windsor, as well as from Vernal, Utah, and Wheatland, Wyo. Several Colorado Northwestern Community College (CNCC) players competed, as well.
The total number of players came to 35, the maximum possible given the venue and timeframe.
“This is the best turnout we have had since the Rec District remodeled down to two courts years ago,” said tournament director Shirley Parsons. “It was harder to schedule all the matches, but it was so much fun getting racquetball players together from all over the area.”
Tournament results are as follows:
– Men’s Open/A division was won by Rangely’s own Jason Krueger, followed by second place Open winner Roger Barber (Wheatland, Wyo.) and second place A winner Erick Hendrickson (Grand Junction). N Men’s B 1st place: Andrew Rodriguez (Thornton); 2nd place: Greg Hire (Glenwood Springs)
– Men’s C 1st place: Conor Jones (Wheatland, Wyo.); 2nd place: Ian Prichard (Grand Junction)
– Men’s D 1st: Logan Abrahamson (CNCC); 2nd: Colin Zadra (Rangely)
– Women’s Open 1st: Sandy Connell (Hotchkiss); 2nd: Lily Caldwell (Grand Junction)
– Women’s A 1st: Shirley Parsons (Rangely); 2nd: Sheli Bodily (Vernal, UT)
– Women’s B 1st: Heather Zadra (Rangely); 2nd: Rachel Washam (Loveland)
– Women’s C 1st: Kathy Yurick (Grand Junction); 2nd: Heather Stanford (Grand Junction)
– Women’s D 1st: Rachael Northup (CNCC); 2nd: Jennesee Forster (Windsor)
– Mixed A/B Doubles 1st: Rob Schoeber (Grand Junction)/Cara Pellowski (Palisade); 2nd: Nick & Lisa Brutosky (Grand Junction)
– Mixed C/D Doubles 1st: Lisa Brutosky/Ian Prichard (Grand Junction); 2nd: Jesse Krueger & Jennesee Forster (Windsor).
Parsons and the Rangely racquetball community expressed thanks to Colorado Northwestern Community College and State Farm Insurance for their donations, as well as the many local merchants who contributed door prizes. They further acknowledged the WRBM Rec District staff for extensive help in making the tournament successful and Giovanni’s Italian Grill for providing pizza Friday night. Audrey Pefferman of Odd Tree Pottery in Moab, Utah made the one-of-a-kind trophy cups.
Parsons said she appreciates seeing the business the tournament brings into town, from hotel stays to restaurant visits. Moreover, she enjoys being part of the competition and camaraderie intrinsic to the event. “It was a lot of fun for all,” she said.