Listen to this post
The Meeker Herald — 75 years ago
• The prizes for best float in the parade went to Shepherd Service Station, first place; Meeker Market, second place. Third place went to the little Hilkey boy with his sheep, parading for Simms-Moulton Stores, Co.
• Two young ladies were accosted by an intoxicated man by the Tagert store. One girl ran away but he got hold of the other girl. After some abuse and foul language on his part, the girl pulled a knife on him and was able to free herself.
• The cornerstone of the new courthouse will be laid in on July 23.
The Meeker Herald — 50 years ago
• A huge power plant at Dotsero would divert South Fork water and hinder the Yellow Jacket Project and oil shale needs.
• John Oldland and David Smith were appointed to the school board to replace William Sides and Rich Lyttle.
• Russell Drugs: 24 Dristan tablets for 98 cents; Alka-Seltzer tablets, 54 cents; 6 oz. Kaopectate, 90 cents.
The Meeker Herald — 20 years ago
• The cost of a wildfire at Fairfield Creek, a mile west of Meeker, is estimated at $90,000.
• Found, McInnis and Belland win honors in 5,000 meter race.
• Brennan team wins honors in Ranch Rodeo competition.
The Rangely Times — 50 years ago
• Philip Gose, assistant football and wrestling coach here, turned in his resignation this week to accept a head coach’s job at Fountain, Colo.
• M.D. Wargo, park director, reports that a total of 3,087 swimmers have enjoyed the community pool during the month of June.
• Miss Judie Ann Hall and James Robert Sommers exchanged wedding vows in a ceremony in the Latter Day Saints Church June 25.
The Rangely Times — 30 years ago
• Bond election on Rangely reservoir set for Aug. 19.
• At the Campus Theatre: Jaws 2 — One good bite deserves another!
• Engagements announced: Julie Lynn Jones to Daniel H. Croom; Melinda Irene Lutz to Charles William Stockman.
The Rangely Times — 20 years ago
• Rachel Sophia King surprised her parents, Richard and Monica King, by arriving two weeks early, on June 28, 1990.
• Vaughn Lake, on Ripple Creek Pass in the Routt National Forest between Yampa and Meeker, was inadvertently drained last week by the DOW.