Listen to this post
The Meeker Herald — 125 years ago
• A meeting of the taxpayers in School District No. 2 was held to consider levying a 2 mill tax for school purposes. Mr. Allsbrook gave the following figures for expenses: cash on hand to pay teacher, $230; cost of iron seats, $163.50; freight, $12.50 and school rent per month, $12.50. Voting in favor of levying the tax, 10; against, 7.
• At the meeting of the White River Stockgrower’s Assn. J.T. Thompson, J.W. Shelton, Ezra Fleming and Wm. McDowell were elected to membership.
The Meeker Herald — 50 years ago
• After one of the longest growing seasons on record, the first real killing frost hit Meeker on Wednesday night of this week, with a low of 26 degrees.
• Meeker ties Demons in football fracas at Glenwood Friday 26-26.
The Meeker Herald — 25 years ago
• An early fall snowstorm dropped 11 inches of heavy wet snow in the Meeker area this week, causing considerable damage.
• A brush fire near Lake Avery consumed 200 acres before fire crews were able to get it under control.
Rangely Times — 50 years ago
• Rangely High School’s 1960 homecoming will be held this Friday with the RHS Panthers clash with Glenwood Springs on the local gridiron. Miss Nancy Rowe will be crowned queen during a half-time ceremony. Her attendants are Pam Stewart, Sandra Hubbard, Gloria Ragon and Vicki Gabriel.
• RHS senior football linemen: Ross Schmid, Jerry Brumback and Vern Chism; senior defensive tackle, Roy Collins; quarterbacks John Justus and Wes Yeager.
Rangely Times — 30 years ago
• “Getting rid of me won’t solve Rangely’s problems,” declared town manager Berkley Brannon at a special town council meeting. The meeting had been called by Mayor Peggy Rector to discuss “the employment status of the town manager.” Berkley was asked to resign; no reason given.
Rangely Times — 20 years ago
• Athletes of the week: Mark Crookston, cross country; Jason Harris, football; Derria Banta and Laura Flores, volleyball.
• A Pope and Young class trophy bull elk was taken by Mark Muller. The antlers measured 46-inch beams, 40-inch inside spread and 10-inch bases.