Spring Creek Fire 90 percent contained

Listen to this post

RANGELY | Despite high winds with gusts of 26 mph today, crews working the Spring Creek Fire were able to hold the line. The fire is 90 percent contained and crews are continuing mop up operation by securing the perimeter 30 feet inside the containment line. Due to extremely steep cliff faces and downed power lines, the remaining 10 percent of the fire is being monitored.

As significant progress has been made, the local type 3 team will be transitioning to a smaller fire management organization by Sunday morning. Remaining resources will be 1 helicopter, 1 – 5 person squad, 1 type 1 crew, 2 engines, and miscellaneous fire personnel. Rio Blanco County Road 103 is expected to reopen Monday.

According to Bob Lange, BLM Resource advisor, there will be erosion and sedimentation after this fire. Crews have started rehabilitation of fire lines and BLM range staff are considering alternatives for revegetation, such as seeding and other reclamation activities.

Acres: 1,340
Location: 18 miles south east of Rangely, Rio Blanco County, on the East Fork of Spring Creek
Land involved: private and Bureau of Land Management
Fuels/vegetation: grass; brush; pinyon and juniper trees; Douglas Fir
Agencies/departments involved: Rio Blanco County; Rangely Rural Fire Protection District; United States Forest Service; BLM; Colorado State Forest Service
Resources assigned: 4 type 1 crews; 1 type 2 crew; 3 engines; 1- 5 person squad; 1 air tanker
2 helicopters; miscellaneous fire management personnel
Threatened: 5 structures, which are historical cabin and outbuildings; power lines
Cause: human – investigation is in process.
Damage: approximately 15 power poles burned
Containment: 90%