Listen to this post
The Meeker Herald — 50 years ago
• The Rio Theatre will be showing one of the year’s best pictures, “Some Like It Hot” with Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon.
• The Stage Coach Inn featured a big Thanksgiving dinner. Three miles west of Meeker. $1.50 per person.
• We have square dancing every night from 7-9 o’clock. Mr. Whalin uses his own time to teach us these dances.
• The Methodist men are putting on a pancake supper next Thursday night.
• The 1959-60 Meeker Cowboy basketball season will get under way on Friday with an inter-squad cage tilt at the high school gym.
The Meeker Herald — 20 years ago
• Commissioners wrestled with the budget before deciding on a mill levy increase, from 7.554 to 9.5 mills.
• Local rancher Nick Theos moved his sheep through town from the high country to the lower lands.
• Four candy stripers serving at Pioneers Hospital and the Walbridge Wing are Beth Scott, Amber Campbell, Mistylyn Livingston and Ellen Garrett.
• Three 9-year-olds caused considerable damage to one of the low income apartments in Karen Court with paintbrushes and paint.
• Chris and Lynn Carroll are the parents of a new baby boy born Nov. 22 at Pioneers Hospital. Justin Charles Carroll weighed 9 lbs., 14 oz.
The Rangely Times — 50 years ago
• A 1960 budget of $55,860 has been approved by the Rangely town board.
• Albert L. Gooden of Vernal, part-Chippewa Indian, played the part of a Mexican in the war with Mexico I the movie, “They Came to Cordura.” It was filmed near Moab.
• Max Allred was seriously injured last Friday when he was hit on the head by a pipe. He was rushed to Salt Lake City by airplane.
• Mr. Charlie Hall informed the writer that he and Skippy the pooch were planning a Thanksgiving dinner together to celebrate while Grace sojourned in sunny California.
The Rangely Times — 20 years ago
• Allen Phelps and Stacy Crawford were the Rangely Middle School students of the month.
• James and Arlene Sinclair had Thanksgiving with Ron and Betty Hillard.
• President Bush formally endorsed U.S. Rep. Hank Brown for the U.S. Senate.
• On a sunny summer day, the head of the sun on one acre of a pond can equal the energy of a 4,500 horsepower motor.
• Grocery prices at Bestway: 6-pack cans Coke, $1.75; boneless stew meat, $1.79/lb.; Utah red delicious applies, 29 cents per pound; 10 lb. bag potatoes, 99 cents.