Listen to this post
RBC | A great start to the long anticipated Cowboy volleyball season. Week one wrapped up and Meeker was 2-0, going 6-0 in sets.
“We have put in a new offense this year and I’m so proud of how well they have picked it up,” commented head coach Greg Cravens.
With the exception of Emma Luce, the other five starting varsity players Tatumn Kennedy, Sarah Kracht, Nora Gianineti, Savvy Mendenhall, Aspen Merrifield and libero Leah Knapp are all new this year.
“We still need to work on ball control, but we will get there,” said Cravens.
Friday the Cowboys hosted Caprock for their opening game of the season. Meeker won all three sets 25-14, 25-18, and 25-11. Luce led with 21 kills, Kennedy had 20 assists, and Laura Knapp and Luce both had nine digs.
“The play of Knapp at libero has been fun to watch. We only get her a year but it’s going to be fun,” commented Cravens.
Saturday, once again in front of a home crowd, the Cowboys took on to Paonia Eagles. It was a closer set of matches but the Cowboys went 3-0 again winning the sets 25-22, 25-19, and 25-13.
Luce had 27 kills assisted from both Kennedy with 17 and Goedert with 13. Defensively Luce had 26 diggs but the team effort from Merrifield with 12 and Knapp with nine helped the Cowboys to wrap up the weekend undefeated.
Volleyball doesn’t get rest for spring break and the action continues.
After the first week of games Meeker is ranked fourth below Denver Christian, Limon, and Wiggins. In the Cowboys’ league, West Grand is in the top 10 in the state and Vail Mountain is getting votes also.
This week Meeker will travel to Kremmling to take on West Grand and their first top ten opponent, C team is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. on Friday.
Also this week the county rivalry game against Rangely will be Thursday and JV is slated to begin at 5. They will finish their weekend at Grand Valley on Saturday with C team at 4 p.m. and the rest of the games to follow.
2021 Meeker Cowboy Volleyball Schedule
- TBA Thursday, March 25 vs. Rangely
- 1, 2, 3 p.m. Friday, March 26 vs. West Grand
- 4:30, 5:30, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 30 vs. Grand Valley
- 4, 5, 6, p.m. Friday, April 2 vs. Olathe
- 1 p.m. Saturday, April 3 vs. North Park @Home
- 5, 6 p.m. Thursday, April 8 vs. Vail Mountain @Home
- 1, 2, 3 p.m. Saturday, April 10 vs. Hotchkiss
- 6 p.m. Thursday, April 15 vs. Debeque
- 1, 2, 3 p.m. Saturday, April 17 vs. Hayden
- 4:30, 5:30, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 22 vs. Plateau Valley @Home
- 1, 2, 3 p.m. Friday, April 23 vs. Soroco
- 1, 2, 3 p.m. Saturday, April 24 vs. Vail Christian @Home
- TBA Saturday, May 1 REGIONALS
- TBA Friday/Saturday May 7-8 STATE
By TIFFANY JEHOREK – Special to The Herald Times