Cowboys take down Titans 22-14

Meeker senior Tannen Kennedy (5) runs with the ball in the game against the Coal Ridge Titans last week. Kennedy blocked a field goal in the first quarter and brought in a touchdown in the fourth quarter. Tiffany Jehorek Photo

MEEKER | The Meeker Cowboy football team was back in action last Friday evening traveling to Coal Ridge taking on the Titans in their first of many away games for this season. Winning in overtime 22-14 the Cowboys are now 1-1 on the season, moved up one spot in Class 1A rankings to eight, one under Paonia, Colo.

“We made some progress and met our goal of continuing to improve each week,” said head coach Shane Phelan. The Cowboys have now faced large contrast in play styles between Coal Ridge who only threw six times compared to Aspen the previous week who threw all night long with a skilled quarterback.
“The boys did a good job being balanced this game both offensively and defensively,” said Phelan, continuing “they stepped up in overtime securing the win.”
The game began with storm clouds on the horizon and Coal Ridge keeping the ball on their first possession through the 6 minute 42 second mark in the first quarter, scoring six. They attempted a field goal that was blocked by Tannen Kennedy and score was 0-6 the Titans. A pass from Ryan Phelan to Andy Kracht with 56 seconds left in the first quarter tied the game, and that is where it remained, 6-6 until the fourth quarter.
The game was evenly played between the teams, however the Cowboys ended with 334 total yards and the Titans 124. A series of back to back interceptions, initiated by Coal Ridge and immediately answered by Kelton Turner in the second quarter showed the defensive strength of the two teams.
“Our guys in the secondary did good,” said Phelan, “and Coal Ridge had some really good players, the interior lineman for the Titans on offense and defense were good.”
With 8:43 left in the fourth quarter, a quick drive up the field by the Cowboys and six points were added to the scoreboard by Kennedy. Phelan then ran it in for two more and the score was 14-6 the Cowboys. The Titans answered on their next possession, they drove the Cowboys back in a series of plays that took over eight minutes and tied the game 14 all. With 17 seconds left in the game Phelan took a knee on the next Cowboy possession sending the game into overtime.
The Cowboys won the coin toss and elected to take second possession. The defense, solid all night, had four players with double digit tackles: Kennedy, Tevin Pelloni, Brennan Jensen, and James Amick. held the Titans to four and out with Braeden Woodward having the final tackle on the evening. On Meeker’s fourth down Phelan ran it in for six followed by a two point conversion ending the game 22-14 the Cowboys. This week the Cowboys have a bye and then are on the road again to Limon, followed by an additional bye week.
The next home matchup is against Grand Valley on Sept. 28, this will also be a game honoring the 1968 Cowboy football team.

By Tiffany Jehorek | Special to the Herald Times